Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What it's all about

When I first started talking with Judy Ridgway about putting on a Fibre fest here in Campbell River - I thought maybe I could help her a bit as I have attended many Fibre fests mostly as a vendor. When she told me that this Fibre fest was going to be a fund raiser for the Specialized recreation programs at the Community Centre, I was hooked.  This married my two passions Fibre and Special Needs people. As many of you know I have a group home for 2 special needs men. They are 25 and 52. Both have been wiith us for over 20 years.
My young fellow Cam has many difficult disabilities including being Deaf and Blind. We communicate with him with touch and objects. He has very few interests so we are always looking for something new for him to do. This year he ( with the help of his Intervenor Melysa) took up quilting at the Campbell River Community Centre. This has been a great activity for him and fun for both Cam and Melysa.
The quilting class welcomed them in and work with him inspite of his many disabilities. He is very proud of his first quilting project and I think it is just the first of many.
All of the specialized programs require extra funding over and above what the clients are able to pay. This is what this Fibre Fest is about. Raising money for these wonderful programs. The sewing program is just one example of the Specialized recreation programs offered. They will have a booth at the Fibre Fest in the Demo area. Cam's pillow will be there. We are very proud of him

Melysa and Cam at Quilting class

Cam with his finished pillow
So this is what the Fibre Fest is really all about


2 comments:

  1. What a great pillow Cam and thank you for sharing this story Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Shelly, what a lovely story!
    ~kate

    ReplyDelete